NOURISH l Superfoods Series: Hemp
David Cicero’s The Galaxy Global Eatery Hemp Cookbook: More than 200 Recipes Using Hemp Oil, Seeds Nuts, and Flour stresses how hemp’s benefits cannot be understated, with each plant part functioning uniquely such that the plant can be used in a variety of ways. Not only is hemp used in textile products such as clothing and rope, it possesses nutritional and agricultural benefits, making it of use to consumers and manufacturers alike. More specifically, the health benefits of hemp come in various forms that the average health-conscious individual can use to twist ordinary meals into extraordinary new dishes.
Hemp seed oil
- Contains all the essential fatty acids (EFA) to maintain healthy human life
- Ideal ratio of essential fatty acids (3:1 of omega-6 to omega-3)
- Used as truffle oil or emulsifying sauces/vinaigrettes
Hemp nuts (shelled):
- Possess 25-30% protein
- Contains no THC when nuts shelled
- Taste like a mixture of walnut and sesame seed
- Can be used raw, toasted, baked, or ground, substituting other nuts
- Contains 5-10% oil
- Can be made at home by toasting, cooling, and grinding seeds (hulls must be removed)
- Found commercially
This delectable breakfast dish recipe using hemp nuts found in The Galaxy Global Eatery Hemp Cookbook demonstrates the utility of hemp in everyday meals:
Ginger Buttermilk Hemp Pancakes (Makes 8 Pancakes)
1¾ cups of cake flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon kosher salt
4 eggs, separated
1 ½ cups buttermilk
½ cup Hemp Milk (see recipe below)
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 cup crystallized ginger, chopped
½ cup hemp nuts, toasted
extra butter for cooking
- Combine cake flour, baking powder, and kosher salt in a metal bowl.
- Separate the egg yolks from their whites. Combine the yolks with buttermilk and Hemp Milk. Keep separately.
- Whisk egg whites by hand or in a mixer. Once the whites double in size, add the cream of tartar and whisk until whites form stiff peaks.
- Slowly add the yolk-buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients. Add melted butter and mix until the butter has been incorporated. Fold in the whites. This will make a fluffy pancake. Make sure not to overwork batter.
- Fold in the ginger and toasted hemp nuts.
- Heat a small amount of butter in a frying pan and ladle pancake batter to desired size. Flip the pancake over when bubbles begin to form all over the top. Pancakes should be golden and fluffy.
3 cups water
1 cup hemp nuts
1 tablespoon agave nectar
- Put all the ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the milk through a sieve and chill.
- Serve cold or use for Galaxy Global Eatery Cookbook recipes.
More essential staples besides just milk can be yielded through the use of hemp such as sweet hemp nut butter, hemp cheese, hemp nut whipped cream, hemp ice cream, and vegetable stock. All the relatively simple recipes can then be used to create even more spectacular and unique hemp recipes. Both simple and intricate recipes can be found in The Galaxy Global Eatery Hemp Cookbook, in which Denis Cicero collaborates with chefs Kris Czartoryski, Suzanne Gruber, and Michael Lipp to offer more then 200 recipes for your daily consumption.